Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Stranger Interactions

Yesterday, I took a break from working mid-way through the morning to walk a few blocks away and grab a coffee. Oh who am I kidding, it was less than an hour after I got to my desk at the early ealry hour 11:30AM. I threw on my 2012 Blue Sky Marathon hat, permanently dirt-stained pink puffy vest, and grabbed my travel mug.


As I trotted across the street to the sidewalk, a guy did the same, from the opposite direction, on the other side of the street as me. Wearing an orange puffy vest. And a 2011 Blue Sky Marathon hat. And Carharts. That last part isn't totally relevant, but in my mind, the wearing of Carharts signals you as a specific type of person who tries to pose as a respectable employee (he was coming from the direction of the physiology building, so I'm guessing a professor or researcher?) but bounces out of work suspiciously early each Friday to backpack, rock climb, or mountain bike all weekend.

Our eyes locked for a second from across the street, and we exchanged a knowing smile and nod, before continuing on our own ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment