Thursday, February 28, 2013

What Happens When I Sleep Through My Morning-Run Alarm and Decide to Work from Home

I have been having a very odd couple of weeks where I just literally canNOT wake up before 7AM, which is very odd for me. I'm usually awake, of my body's own volition around 5AM. Which thus allows me time to run, work (non-grad school job), shower and play with my dog (not a euphamism...sorry...bad joke) all before my usual 9AM graduate school work-day start.  Sometimes I even get laundry and/or dishes and/or vacuuming done too. I'm a morning person. Until 2 weeks ago. When I stopped being a morning person. I don't like sleeping in this late. I feel lazy and unaccomplished. So when I slept through my 5AM...and 5:15...and 5:30...and 5:45AM alarms this morning (I mean I slept through my alarms, as in did not even consciously flit my eyes open to drowsily peer at the alarm clock blaring at me, slept through my alarms), and woke up at the late late time of 6:47AM...I decided my run would wait for warmer hours and I would just get some school work done. 45 minutes of that, and a pot of coffee later, I decided it was time to make sunflower butter. Totally normal behavior...yeah.

I didn't follow any real recipe, but instead dumped 4/3C (I actually thought it was 1 C and I was using 1/4 C measuring cup, but my only-one-pot-of-coffee brain forgot that the 1/4 C measure was in the dish rack) of roasted unsalted sunflower seeds into my food processor, turned it on, brewed another pot of coffee, and watched. The sunflowers seed flaked apart like a cornmeal, then ever so slowly began to oil up and almost melt together. I added in a dash of salt, a pinch of cinnamon, and a drop each of honey and olive oil. It's pretty delicious. I don't think I'll ever buy nut butters from the store again.

When that was finished, I decided to give a go at a pie recipe a friend had shared a week or 2 ago. The original recipe is found here: Mocha Silk Pie. I made a few alterations. For starters, I cut the recipe in half. Except for the nuts in the crust (but I used walnuts instead of pecans - I forgot to buy pecans at the store) and the kahlua - I used the full amounts of each of those with half the rest of everything else. Oh and I used 2 ounces of chocolate instead of the halved quantity (1.5 oz) for the filling. But basically this is the most delicious creation that has ever graced the face of this planet.
The crust ingredients: finely chopped walnuts, grated chocolate, brown sugar, and a touch of kahlua

That same crust, mushed together into a pie dish



The start of the filling: butter, sugar, instant coffee granules

Blending up the filling with another bit of Kahlua...yummm Kahlua 

Beating in one egg at a time, 5 minutes a piece. Trust me, it's worth the energy

The finished project. I ate the remaining chocolate or else I might've added some chocolate curls on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment